This Saturday, May 17, is Endangered Species Day at Zoo Atlanta. Endangered Species Day is a great way to learn about endangered species here at the Zoo and also in the wild. We have SO many exciting activities plan that will be fun for the whole family!
10:30 a.m. – Daniel Tiger from PBS’ Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood will be here for a meet and greet in the Birthday Pavillion.
11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. – We will be showing Born to be Wild, a heartfelt wildlife film about rescued orangutans and elephants in the World Studio.
We will also be featuring information about the Palm oil crisis, Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund, 96 elephants, and some other great conservation projects supported by Zoo staff!
There will be arts & crafts and games at different exhibits around the Zoo.
- Rhino Exhibit – Dried Beans Animal Crafts – Use dried beans to fill in an animal outline and make artwork you can take home!
- Gorilla Exhibit – Feast & Forage Activity – Forage like gorillas through shredded paper to find plastic food hidden at the bottom.
- Orangutan Exhibit – Musical Trees Game – Play Musical Trees and whenever the music stops a good tree is replaced by a palm tree forcing you to find somewhere new to live! This keeps going until all the “good” trees are gone. Not only fun, but teaches you about Palm oil and the loss of habitats for wild orangutans.
- Reptile Exhibit – Build a Toad Abode – Build a house for a toad and take it home to put outside.
- Tiger Exhibit – How Many Tigers Guessing Game – 350-400 are in tigers in a jar and you have to guess the exact number. There are actually less Sumatran tigers in the wild than you will see in the jar!
- Giant Panda Exhibit –Corridor Activity – Make your way through a maze avoiding obstacles like farmhouses, roads etc to learn how bamboo corridors enable pandas to travel safely from one area of their protected habitats to the next.
- Elephant Exhibit – Zoo Atlanta Species Saver Cape – Sign a pledge to do your part to protect endangered species then decorate and make your own superhero cape to wear.
- Flamingo Plaza - Endangered Species Scavenger Hunt – Go on a scavenger hunt for the answers to questions about 10 different endangered animals around the Zoo. The first guests to complete the scavenger hunt will get special prizes!
Look out for Zhu Zhu Panda and his friend Fernando the Fountain Frog who will be walking around the park and hanging out with Zoo guests!